Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

art, photography, inspiration, etc

Lately I've been feeling in a creative rut. I feel like my skills are getting better but I'm losing some of creativity and drive. Sometimes looking at other people's photos inspires me and sometimes it just puts me down. I feel like my work isn't good enough. So I want to take a step back and think about the direction I want to take with my photography. I've contacted a local photographer (who is absolutely amazing) about an internship so fingers crossed! I know if I get it I will learn so much and grow.

But here are my goals over the next few months in photography:
1. Learn how to shoot in manual.
2. Either acquire or stop drooling over this baby.
3. Not lose sight of why I take photos (because I love it! Not for money! But now that I am starting to make a minuscule amount it's harder haha) and not lose a creative edge. This includes realizing that clients contact me because they like my work and stop worrying so much about what they want and just "do my thang!" hehe.
5. Do/attempt something more artistic once in a while!
6. STOP BEING INTIMIDATED BY OTHER PHOTOGRAPHERS. They're work should inspire me! Not throw me into a hole! And I need to stop shying away from the shots I want because there's another photographer around (especially ones with better equipment)
7. Find my own personal style and stick to it.

I think that's all for now. Now some photos that I am currently admiring/am jealous of/inspire me.

This photo and many many MANY more by the wonderful, gorgeous, and extremely talented Elizabeth May:
by Elizabeth May of Lucid Dreaming
(I actually did a similar self portrait series where my goal was literally to copy this photo but not claim it as my own, you know? just for fun/practice. we'll see how that turned out :P)

Almost everything by Julia Trotti (who is not only an incredible photographer but a very sweet person. I don't usually send mail to my favorites but I had a couple of questions and was shocked to receive a very friendly, personal and prompt response! and she was so helpful! One of my favorite photographers ever!) including but not at all limited to:
by Julia Trotti of I HAVE SOMETHING TO TELL YOU
and
by Julia Trotti

Annette Pehrsson is simply amazing. All of her photos are just great. Seriously. She has such a unique style and her film work is great.
by Annette Pehrsson of The Hymn for the Cigarettes 
by Annette Pehrsson

Rockie Nolan was one of the first artists I found when I joined Deviant Art. I still love her photography. Her self portraits are amazing and some of my favorite photos ever are from one of her photography finals. I mean, really, is it even legal to be so talented, so young?
by Rockie Nolan of The Wanderlusters
by Rockie Nolan 

by Rockie Nolan


Kalea Molloy is an incredibly inspiring and lovely person. Her photography is beautiful.
by Kalea Molloy of Blurry Eyed
Jaime Ibarra. Amazing.
by Jaime Ibarra

One of my favorite photographs ever. Period. This girl is amazing.

by Elif Karakoc


Antonio Ysursa. I don't even have words. Lovely.
by Antonio Ysursa of Itch to Fly

Oh my goodness. . .All of her photos are gorgeous!
by Andreea Retinschi
I feel I should also mention my far far away friend Hannah who takes amazing photos (especially her recent set from Heavenfest! amazing!). If you live in Colorado and need some photos, look her up. She's great. I love these live shots. Seriously. Here's just a few.

by Hannah Simpson

by Hannah Simpson

by Hannah Simpson
If any one wants their photos taken down I'm terribly sorry, just send me a message of some sort and I'll take it down right away!


No comments: